coughing & coffee in Vienna

it feels like ages ago I dragged my beer-soaked, germ-ridden self off the train from Prague and into the elegant streets of Vienna. 

the first two stops on my solo world tour were wonderful, but by their powers combined I was struck down in the prime of lime (not a typo, a very dated pop-culture reference); Reykjavik was far colder than I anticipated, and Prague weakened my immune system with delicious alcohol. 

that's my convoluted way of saying I was miserably sick. 

that's a lot of the reason why I'm behind on my updates; I was guzzling vitamin C and going to bed early while tantalizing anecdotes and wanderlust-inducing photos were patiently waiting to be shared!
but that's the thing about Vienna...
it waits for you. 

oh yeah, I've had that one cookin' for a while. 

even though though I was feeling like garbage physically I still have only the most pleasant memories of the city. it was so calm and leisurely and just a little decadent. if I had to be sick somewhere on this trip, at least Vienna was a decently comfortable place to do it.

without any further ado, here is you photographic introduction to Wien!
reviews and etc. coming soon!

IMG_5519
Schloss Belvedere.

IMG_5407
a first glimpse Stephansdom Cathedral.

IMG_5386
the Holocaust Memorial... the lower statue is a "street cleaning Jew" and represents the hardships Jewish people faced in Vienna even long before WWII.

IMG_5486
the Vienna State Opera; I prefer its German title, the Wiener Staatsoper. cause wiener is a funny word.

IMG_5549
inside the Staatoper. 
fun fact: the Viennese originally considered this building to be horribly ugly! such delightfully high standards!

IMG_5454
Lipizzaner horses in front of the Hofburg Palace.

IMG_5419
the view from the North tower of Stephansdom.

IMG_5430
inside the cathedral.

IMG_5440
Viennese coffee melange at Cafe Korb.

IMG_5537
favorite Vienna experience: cafe culture.

IMG_5504
can't go to Vienna without seeing some Klimt. 
(and I basically paid 15 euro to see this so I am most definitely posting a picture)

IMG_5475
on the terrace of the Albertina. 


No comments: