sunshine on a cloudy day

I have some sunny photos for you on a not-so-sunny day...








top- Winners
skirt- BB Dakota
shoes- Wal-Mart

ok I'll try not to be too gloomy...

I'm going to be honest about why I've been having trouble keeping up this blog lately. it's hard for me to be excited about clothes right now, particularly clothes that are mine.

I've been having some rough times with my body image. I know it probably sounds silly, but in the past few months I've been constantly gaining weight and I'm not sure why. I've been exercising more than ever, and trying hard to watch what I eat (with periods of exception, of course...) but nothing seems to even slow down the process. but the real sad part is that I don't like getting dressed as much as I used to. a lot of my clothes don't fit any more, but I can't bring myself to give them all up. so it's not as much fun to talk fashion and to post pictures of myself when I'm not comfortable with what's there.

I'm not sure exactly why I'm putting this on the internet; partially to explain my kind of obvious lack of enthusiasm lately, yes. but I guess to kind of dispel the myth that to take dozens of photos of yourself dressed up everyday takes some sort of narcissism.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem to me that personal style bloggers are often full of themselves or think they're models (although plenty are pretty enough to be!). I'm sure anyone, no matter how comfy they seem in their own (second) skin, can get down on their appearance.

but it's encouraging that fashion bloggers come in all shapes and sizes and styles! all these beautiful girls dressing for themselves and being happy with what they present to the world. it's easy to just envy a girl's height or thin legs or luscious hair, but I'm trying to see their confidence as inspiration.

sorry to be such a serious fuddy-duddy, but I wanted to put it out there.

thanks for reading. :o)

4 comments:

Kara said...

Thanks for sharing this, Sarah. And thank you for also being brave enough to put your feelings out on the web! I know exactly how you feel-- sometimes it's hard to imagine other bloggers and fashionistas having body image issues but the truth is everyone is human and we all feel insecurities every now and then! I think our strength is made in how we deal with these insecurities...
I hope you feel better soon! For what it's worth, I think you look great no matter what! :)

xo

Laura said...

See, when I looked at these pictures all I was thinking was: she's gorgeous! For real.
I also feel like everytime I read your blog you exude this sort of admirable confidence that I wouldn't mind having some of. But I think most of us (especially as females who are constantly bombarded with images of 6 foot girls who weigh 105 pounds) have moments when we are a bit uncomfortable in our own skin. We find things to hate about ourselves, which is kind of sad, you know?
Anyway, all that to say that I hope you continue with the blog because I enjoy it and think you're lovely.

Janessa said...

First- Love your shoes.
Second but more impt- Love you and think you're gorgeous and I think you are so brave for opening up like this. It is def takes a lot of courage to talk about insecurities like this. I cannot say just how much strength that must take.
I admire you for that and many other reasons!
xoxo

Kyla said...

I think it's very honest that you would share this. Of course everyone has hang-ups from time to time about their body and image. The best cure? Dress to highlight all that good stuff! Fighting with too small clothes is a sure fire way to dampen the mood. Time for a closet overhaul maybe?