a penny for your thoughts, a dollar for your insides

it's been a busy day! I don't have much time to post, but I didn't want to leave you with nothing for today...

so I'm sharing a few of my favourite looks right now from lookbook.nu .
I'm a recent lookbooker, but I've taken a lot of inspiration from it already.


I love that this is something I would pick out as everyday-wear, but better. I like the little touches that show how I can add that little something special to an outfit- the contrasting collar, the belt over the sweater. I am also a fan of the magazine-papered walls! 


what can I say, I love floppy hats! and how the patterns and colours work together in this outfit. it's sassy and vibrant, but not crazy. if the shorts weren't so itty-bitty I would definitely wear this whole look.


this lovely lady has quickly become one of my new favourite sources of inspiration! I love everything she wears. everything. this outfit is basically why; pretty, girly prints, pastels, and cute socks. she just always looks so fresh and feminine and lovely. 


this girl has some of the most epic hair I've ever seen. and a cool style to match. kind of 60s mod meets Elizabethan jester. decadent. I love the sheer and the vertical stripes in this look.


amazing florals! definitely won't be a surprise that I love this look, since I've been raving about pastels, mint green, and fairy princesses lately. this girl belongs in a poem. 


definitely one of my favourite fashion bloggers! Valentine is what I envision the quintessential Parisienne to be- dainty and effortlessly chic. this outfit shows a great way to play down a slightly fancy dress for daytime. keep it simple with neutrals, boots, and casual accessories. she's always a perfect picture!



remember to check all these girls out on lookbook if you haven't already!

the one sort-of issue I do have with sites like these are the types of pictures that always get "top rated" or "hot" or "most hype," what-have-you. yes, they are always beautiful pictures with beautiful people.  but is that all that style is about?

I have not seen one girl who could be more than a size 4 on the lookbook "hot" page. I have also seen many nice, but not spectacular, outfits get high ratings because of a cool photo location or editing. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with any of this, but it kind of makes me wonder what exactly is being appreciated.

I know that fashion is intrinsically linked to art, and subsequently photography. and I love seeing beautiful photos of model-esque ingenues on any style-sharing site. but I thought these sites were for inspiring people to feel good about themselves and celebrate their love of fashion. sometimes it seems like they could make someone feel pretty bad.

it probably sounds like I'm just bitter or jealous or whatever. but I'm not. maybe a little envious, but we'd all like to be praised and flattered and appreciated sometimes and I'm not trying to hide that. I just don't think any online community should give the impression that you'll only reach the top if you have impossibly slender legs and walk around in 6-inch heels all the time. it's not realistic, and kind of sets an impossible standard.

obviously as I'm a member of lookbook, chictopia, and weardrobe this doesn't bother me enough to stop going there and participating. but it does make me wonder if this community of online fashion, which as far as I can tell started off to encourage every-day fashionistas, is heading in the direction of other mass media; portraying a certain "image" and not a sense of personal style.

just a thought. :)
and it doesn't make these looks any less lovely.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So many great sources of inspiration! I guess I need to check out lookbook more often! I agree about most featured posts being only of a certain type. And that many average outfits end up hyped up because of a nice setting. It's unfortunate, but just a reality of fashion. You make a really good point about those sites turning into another source of mass media though. I never though about that, but their editors are editing the sites image just like a magazine does. Makes you think!

KaNini's said...

These pics are indeed so inspirational! Love this post! :)
xx,K.

CHOCAROME said...

thank you for sharing! you gave me alot of inspirations!

BTW, I’m your big fan – your style is really original and I read your blog very often and I just wonder..if we could follow each other.. But even if your answer is “no” I’ll be still your reader <3

xoxo

chocarome.blogspot.com

Janessa said...

Thanks you for reminding me of the awesomeness of Fall Out Boy. I'd forgotten how super duper they are and I must listen to them more. And the awesomeness of FOB reminded me of the awesomeness of Anberlin. My ears are well pleased.