take the chip off of my shoulder

hello there and happy weekend, blogger friends!

things have improved here slightly since thursday. I found out my camera can be fixed under warranty, I didn't have school yesterday, and the weather has been so darn nice here lately that it's hard to have a bad day.

it's like spring has actually arrived. it's freaking me out. I'm from Newfoundland. I'm still expecting snowstorm season to begin at the end of March.

but people here have been walking around in shorts and t-shirts under clear blue skies for over a week now. maybe it's global warming.

I haven't quite made it to shorts yet (considering I hate them) but this is one of my sunshine-enjoying ensembles from this week.







top- Forever 21
jeans- Delia's
shoes- random shoe store in England
earrings- flea market

I was wondering to myself why this outfit came together so well when I realized- I was being subconsciously inspired by Krystal from This Time Tomorrow! I loved this outfit of hers from the moment I saw it (and I already had the shirt), it looked so casual and cool but fashionable. 




I love everything she wears. she always looks so incredibly sophisticated and gorgeous, like an effortlessly cool off-duty model or something. and she has the greatest collection of blazers!

anyways, so that's who/what I was emulating without realizing it. one of my friends at school remarked "jeans and flats? that's new for you." but I had a doctor's appointment and I always feel awkward wearing dresses and heels to the doctor. people kind of look at you like "you're crazy to dress up for this." so I went casual.

and I think I should note that these are my favourite flats ever! I've had them for about three years no and I just can't get rid of them. they're so comfy and I think they're the perfect shade of pink. they are also embedded with dirt from so much wear, but I don't care.

so, on kind of a different subject, I was thinking about my post a while ago about The Devil Wears Prada. there's another stylish journalist movie that's my guilty pleasure - Confessions of a Shopaholic. it's such a shamefully girly movie, but I don't even care. I feel her pain. and the clothes (for the most part) are awesome!

I watched the movie yesterday morning (yay for no school!) and noticed that even though both it and The Devil Wears Prada are based around fashion, the girls dress very differently. Isla Fisher's character wears much more colourful and quirky outfits than Anne's, but still looks professional. I like that she has such vibrant, youthful clothing but still looks stylish and age-appropriate, which in my head seems like a tough balance to achieve.

as a huge fan of colour, I thought I'd show a couple cute outfits of "Rebecca's" (minus two of my faves that I couldn't find pictures of- the green sweater dress outfit from her first magazine meeting, and the kind of sad scene outfit with an oversized men's shirt, belted, and a plaid coat).

this is definitely my favourite outfit in the film. I love the rich colours and the amazing cape! and I'm not one for monochrome, but the blue-on-blue looks so regal with the purple belt.

 
not a huge fan of the fuzzy thing, but I love the skirt, hat, and gloves, and the colour combination is so fun.

aww, she looks so sad.. but her outfit's so cute! love the fun top, and another stylin' skirt.

I love when she wears this dress with the tights and coat, but I just had to show the whole thing! it's perfect. I love the crazy ruffles and the short hem and of course, the purple!

after my evaluation of Rebecca's spunky style, I've picked some wardrobe essentials for shopaholic journalists. :o)

- SKIRTS! fitted skirts. I really want the blue one she wears.
- cardigans; got a good start there!
- vibrant, jewel-tone colours
- waist-synching belts
- bright tops with girly details
- pretty gloves

this movie made me long to go skirt shopping, but to restrain myself I did some online browsing for things that are mostly unavailable to me for one reason or another. I find this blog really helps with keeping that shopping bug in check, cause after a week or so I don't want most of the stuff so bad. :o)

but, if I could shop and if I did have some money to spend, I'd get things like these.








all above fr. Modcloth






above fr. Ruche


above fr. Topshop




so there's your picture overload for the weekend! I'm going to go outside now, cause it's too sunny not to. the only thing that would make this day better is $100 and a little shopping adventure, haha. maybe Ill get ice cream.

peace.

playing: Till It Shines- Bob Segar 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I still have not watched that movie, but I wanna see it soon! Love that purple dress of hers.
And I like this outfit. xo

Kate said...

As soon as I saw your outfit I immediately thought of this time tomorrow! wasn't sure if it was intentional or not until I read further! either way, it looks super cute on you! and this time tomorrow is one my very favorite blogs too!

E said...

love your top, the detailing on the shoulder is fantastic!

Kristin said...

LOVE that top! I am so glad that your week ended on a few good notes! I always love it when I find out that electronics are covered under warranty!

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

I absolutely love your top! And I think the way you paired it with the jeans - perfection. :) I love "confessions". Isla is so so cute.

Gillian said...

Cute outfit! The necklace is a great touch! Love the items you found on mod cloth!