the sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home

this post has been a long time coming! 

I've been meaning to share this with you ever since my first Louisville post way back when, but never got around to it. oh well, the pictures of sunshine and warm memories are a nice change from the freezing cold bleakness of January. 

as I said before, our stay in Louisville, Kentucky was one of my favourite parts of our cross-country road trip this summer. we enjoyed shopping and drinking local bourbon-laced beers and swimming in the hotel pool to get over the insane humidity, and one day we took a taste tour.

I think I found it in a pamphlet or something; it was called "the taste of Louisville" and seemed affordable and fun and home-grown. the lady who ran things did everything herself, from the actual tour-guiding to the driving to choosing the food. (I think this is the tour we took, the web page looks a little different, but it sounds the same.) in a nutshell, the tour was amazing!


first stop was across the Ohio river into Jeffersonville to visit a famous, 200-year-old candy shop. (200ish? dangit I took notes all trip so I wouldn't forget these things but my books are all packed away!) 

the owners showed us how their candy is made, using the same methods as when the shop first opened, and made some right in front of us. that goop in the second picture is gonna be noms. I tried and bought a bunch of candy from there, and it's all amazing. and I'm not even a candy person (are people even allowed to say that? am I emblazoning a scarlet letter on myself right now?). 

I brought home some fish candy for a couple sugar-loving friends, and while they appreciated it I don't think they were quite as impressed as I was, having witnessed the birth of those little fishies...


the tour stayed on the Indiana side to stop in a park with a smashing view of the Louisville cityscape. we were served traditional Kentucky hot browns, fried green tomatoes, sweet rolls, and bourbon slush. I would have taken a picture but it was so delicious I kind of inhaled it all... it was so good Cait and I went back to the restaurant the food was from and got it all again the next day! 

after our photo ops the fun little tour bus took us to museum row, then drove around Old Louisville. we learned all about Thomas Edison and the mansions and quirky neighbourhood stories. then we went to Churchill downs and visited the horses! I was a huge horse freak as a kid (and still kinda am) so I was beyond excited. real Kentucky Derby horses at the real Kentucky Derby! you have no idea how badly I wanted to buy one of those giant derby hats...


our Churchill Downs "taste" was, appropriately, derby pie and mint juleps. soooo goooood. ♥

we also made a visit to the University of Louisville and a premier Bourbon Chocolate company, Art Eatables. they're a little family shop that pairs bourbon with chocolate flavours that complement each other. I bought "Big Ass Bourbon" chocolates for my family to try, and they were awesome! 


if you're ever in Louisville, this is the lady you're looking for!
she was so wonderful and interesting and knowledgeable, and you could really tell she enjoyed her job. the bus was cozy and decorated with cushions and twinkle lights and paper flowers. we just had so much fun! 

I'm admittedly a fan of a good tour, but this is by far the best one I've been on. 
I'm especially missing Louisville today... there's so much to see and do, yet it still feels quaint and homey. I would love to go back someday. 

long live the South, right??

No comments: