dressed to kill

so now that Halloween is over, I can get on to what really matters; irritating you with constant Christmas-themed posts!
COOL.

Christmas is going to be even more exciting/happy for me this year because it'll be a much bigger deal to go home. I like the UK, but sometimes I find myself missing the familiarity of home. Brandon and I also recently booked a short trip to London just before the holidays, which I am STOKED for! there's nothing better than London at Christmas time.

anyways, what I'm trying to say is I've been thinking and feeling festive quite a lot, and one of the subjects that has crossed my mind several times is my holiday wardrobe. I feel like the holidays are a nice excuse to look special everyday. and with an abundance of seasonal festivities to attend, there's always an excuse to get a pretty dress!

I've put together a list of some seasonal trends that I like this year, and both regular and vintage dresses that fit them. fancy party dresses can be super expensive considering you only wear them once a year, but there are plenty of cheaper (&vintage!) options if you look! just do an Etsy search of the criteria you want, and voila- dresses up the wazoo.

vintage can be pricey sometimes, too, but at least you'll never wind up with the same outfit as someone!

who doesn't love a flash of red at Christmas time? add a little lace and you're the classiest lady at the ball.
etsy key words: black lace dress  

peach tones might not scream Christmas, but I'm seeing a lot of pale colours in the party wear sections of shops. besides, add a few silver accessories and maybe a fur collar, and you've got a cute & unexpected ensemble.
etsy key words: 50s lace dress
when in doubt, go for the classic LBD with a 50s-inspired twist. fuller skirts seem so much more festive! (and a red belt never hurts.)
etsy key words: 50s black chiffon

leopard print is, like, all the rage. I'm not usually a huge fan of animal prints, but something about this just works for winter. wear with black tights & a beehive for a touch of class.
etsy key words: leopard print dress

if Christmas were a fabric, it would be green velvet. so luxurious and girly; perfect with gold embellishments. definitely one of my FAVES.
etsy key words: green velvet

what's a party without a little glitz? I gave two options for vintage here; the first because it's so fun and glam, the second because it's so darn art-deco-fabulous! just picture it with a side chignon and burgundy pumps- all class. 
etsy key words: gold sequin dress, silver sequins


hope everyone finds a reason to dress up for the holidays! let the Christmas countdown commence; 44 days (40 till I go home!).

love + hoping you don't think I'm nuts,
Sarah

playing: something in the water- Brook Fraser

4 comments:

Nikki | The Ginger Diaries said...

I am stunned by the sequined pastels dress from Monsoon. It's has everything I want in my perfect holiday dress! x

amberly said...

Only 44 days!?! Hooray! I love how you continue to put me in good spirits for Christmas, and this feature is awesome!! All the Etsy finds are charming and classic, waaay better than the high-end versions! And you're right about green velvet :)

Also, a little holiday jaunt to London sounds so lovely! Can't wait to see pictures and see what you wear! One of these holiday dresses, perhaps...

Unknown said...

Such a great post! I have a leopard print party dress in my closet that I hardly ever get to wear so maybe I can try styling it for the holidays! I really like the red & lacy dresses and green velvet ones you showcased on here too. So pretty!

Sarah K. said...

I totally made a math boo-boo... it was 51 days to Christmas; now it's 48!