you oughta know

the last couple of days an "11 Things" post has been circulating in the blogger world. I always loved doing these quiz-things, so of course I'm jumping at the open call on Jen & Julie's blogs (& several others!)

so here we go:

1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random things.
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you've tagged them.


yeah. this is me. 

11 Random Things About Me!

1. I grew up (well, till I was 14) in a town of less than 1000 people where moose roamed my back yard, polar bears wandered into town, and I could see the Northern Lights sometimes. the closest movie theatre was a seven-hour drive away, and so was the closest fast-food joint. every winter the snow would pile up over our heads. I learned to skate on a frozen bay. I've driven at frustratingly slow speeds behind a caribou that doesn't want to get off the road. I ate/eat wild rabbit and fish & brewis and turr and jiggs dinner. I speak Newfoundland English, which is a real thing. I don't like pineapple crush or roast chicken chips. it was a Northern Newfoundland bay town all the way.

2. 
 I cannot do a cartwheel or any other remotely gymnastic activity. I have this thing where I don't trust my own body to support itself and I always assume I'm going to fall on my head and break my neck. morbid, but true. I'm also a little afraid of trampolines for the same reason.

3.  I don't have a problem with spoilers. a lot of people get really mad when they accidentally find out the end of a movie or a book or a season finale, but I couldn't care less. in fact, when I'm reading a book and I find my interest waning near the middle, I usually sneak a peek at the end to get more motivated to finish. my reaction is always "ooh, how does that happen??" which makes me want to read on. some people hate that I do that, haha. I also have this bad habit of getting over-excited when I know the ending of something, and I want to tell everyone. people hate that too.

4. I'm kind of obsessed with musicals. I think the love just started with Disney and stayed with me longer than it does a normal human. one of the best moments of my life was seeing Wicked for the first time (and I would see it every time I went to London/New York if I could). I also love when they turn musicals into movies; I love Chicago, Rent, Moulin Rouge, and Mama Mia!

5. the only bone I've ever broken is my tailbone. and it wasn't necessarily broken, just "slightly fractured" or something. I got thrown from a horse when I was working at Circle Square Ranch and landed awkwardly. it wasn't a big deal, I didn't even go to a hospital, just had the nurse evaluate me. it still hurts if I have to sit in the same position for a long time, like on airplanes, or if I have to sit on the floor.

6.  reading the book Eat, Pray, Love made me mad because I just got super jealous of that woman. I've always wanted to take 6 months of my life and move to Paris so that I could really learn to speak French. I still want to, but the finances and time to do such a thing seem very far away right now. and that is why I never finished reading Eat, Pray, Love.


7. I am very much in love with tv. I know it's considered a bad thing to be a tv watcher these days, but good quality television just makes me so happy! and it's not like I never went outside when I was a kid (see #1) so I think I'm at a point in my life where my brain is safe from frying. I especially love dvd marathons of shows so I can watch them all at once! favourites include Doctor Who, Modern Family, Dexter, Mad Men, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Sex & the City, CSI (the original, and only till Grissom leaves!), Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead, and the Office. I also love any Discovery Channel-esque programming (see, learning.)

8. I have this weird little thing where a suspicious amount of my favourite people were born in the year 1962. this list includes Anthony Kiedis, Craig Ferguson, David Fincher (who directed a few of my favourite films), Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge! director), and my dad. I also believed until writing out this list that Robert Downey Jr. was also born in 1962, but I was apparently very wrong. so maybe this is not as interesting as I first thought.

9. while I do have a weakness for greasy food, I'm not generally a bad eater. but I HATE salad. I mean, I'll eat the occasional macaroni salad or this Japanese one my mom makes with noodles and cabbage. but I loathe the typical lettuce + other water-based crap salad. it has no substance. this hate may stem from my equally weird aversion to eating cold, wet food (ice cream being the exception), which might also be why I don't eat much fruit and I don't like jell-o.

10. I played volleyball all through junior high and high school, and I loved it. my team won a bunch of provincial championships and I have all the medals at home in my "volleyball drawer." I wish I had made myself at least try to keep playing in university, because I really miss it now but I feel like I would be embarrassingly bad at this point. people usually find this point funny because they can't picture me as an athletic person. :)


11. I have a ridiculously weak stomach when it comes to anything to do with the reproductive system. to clarify, here are examples: in high school I had a biology class discussion on ectopic pregnancy & miscarriages and I fainted. just from hearing it talked about. I also had to leave a university philosophy class that showed a video on female circumcision cause I thought I was going to cry & vomit simultaneously. even now, at 24, if I hear detailed birth stories I kind of freak out. this is very inconvenient since I very much like kids and would like to have them someday. I always thought I'd just grow out of it, but no. I'm pretty sure if I'm ever preggers I'm going to have to fight the urge to faint/cry hysterically with fear every single day.




here are the 11 questions

1. If money, schooling or time was no obstacle, what career would you choose?
honestly, the one I'm trying to do right now! I would love to be a writer for the Rolling Stone, or a cool fashion mag like Nylon, or National Geographic. I just want to travel, meet amazing people, and have fun every single day at work. I really think journalism was the perfect career choice for me, I just have to get the right job. 

2. What’s the one thing you look forward to every day?
sitting down with Brando to have a nice dinner, while watching an episode of something. we always watch something while we eat! usually Doctor Who or Walking Dead or whatever show we just happen to have missed that week. it combines my two favourite activities- eating and watching tv- and my favourite person. it's very relaxing and always makes me feel better if I had a bad/tiring/frustrating day (which tends to happen a lot lately).

3. What is your number one, all-time, favorite blog?
I don't think I have only one all-time favourite, which seems to be the common answer to this question. I love every single blog I follow, and my favourite changes week-to-week. right now, I get excited every time Bleubird Vintage updates! I love the sweet + beautiful snippets of her lovely life. 

4. Biggest online pet peeve?
virtual "cliques" the competitiveness between girls. also, spam. also, (unintentional) bad grammar. 

5. What is your all-time favorite book?
I have to say two- Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli, because I think that no matter how old you are when you read it, it changes your life in some small way, and The Life of Pi by Yann Martel, because I love that it's based on the idea that everything is relative, everything relies on perspective. it's a beautiful story about tolerance and belief.

6. What would your “last meal” be?
you have no idea how hard this question is, considering how much I love food.
probably a giant, calorific McDonald's feast, including a double cheeseburger, fries, sweet & sour sauce, and some chicken nuggets on the side... and a extra-large chocolate fudge milkshake from Cold Stone.
OR.
(yeah I went there)
a tamari tickle tofu burger from the Sprout restaurant at home, with roasted red pepper soup, sweet potato fries, and a giant gooey brownie for dessert. 

7. Do you believe in love at first sight?
I'd like to, because I want to believe in all those Disney movies I grew up with. but unless you're a cartoon princess and there's some sort of heroic quest involved, probably not. 

8. What would your ideal Sunday morning consist of?
sleeping in, a cup of coffee in bed, then getting all gussied up to go out for brunch at the Bagel Cafe. :)

9. Why do you blog?
to keep up some sort of creativity, to practice photography, memories, a mini-sense of accomplishment. to be involved in a fun and inspiring community. 

10. If you had to choose one color to wear forever, what would you pick?
probably a shade of teal, or turquoise. although I would hate having to wear the same colour all the time. variety is the spice of life.

11. What is your all-time favorite band?
if I can only pick one... the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

here are 11 new questions you can answer if you want to play along! I'm just tagging anyone who reads this, and comment so that I can read your posts too!

1. what new place would you most like to visit?
2. what colour would your dream house be painted?
3. what three famous people, alive or dead, do you admire most?
4. if you could go back in time for one day, what day or what time period would you choose?
5. who was your first celebrity crush?
6. what mythical creature would you most like to have as a pet?
7. what was your favourite childhood cartoon?
8. where did your blog name come from?
9. if you could choose your own super power, what would it be?
10. which is your favourite season?
11. what is your favourite sea creature?

happy almost-weekend. :)

playing: my boy makes coffins- Florence + the machine

No comments: